Since 2013, WMS has been operating under the umbrella of Scientific Gaming after its purchase for $1.5 billion. However, the history of WMS as a pioneer and innovator in many gambling industry aspects dates back to the times of World War II and the first revolutions of the WMS founder, Harry Williams.
Williams went down into history as the creator of an innovative pinball machine “Flat-top” and the engineer of the upward-looking tilt mechanism for pinball tables. Since the 1940s, the company founded by Williams, Williams Manufacturing, has been enjoying high revenues from pinball table production, but with the rapid decrease of demand for this sort of game in the 1990s, the company shifted to slot machine production.
The forward-looking management of WMS quickly embraced the realm of opportunities the growing industry of slot machines offered. At that time, there was no variety in slot themes and types, with the classic fruit slots dominating the market. WMS made contracts with numerous Hollywood brands and secured itself an exclusive right to produce movie-branded slots. Thus, for a couple of decades, WMS has been a leader in unique movie-themed games, including Top Gun, The Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, and the like. The company produced slots both for online and for land-based casinos, also specializing in the manufacturing of slot machine cabinets.
Though WMS has already secured itself a place in the list of top casino providers, it continues developing new striking slots surpassing the expectations of its vast fan base. Besides, WMS specializes in the online slot technology to advance the industry, to make the gameplay simpler, and accessibility – greater.
Top WMS Slots
For years of intense work in the sector of slots production, WMS has surpassed many competitors in terms of the breadth and diversity of its portfolio. Since the 1990s, slots fans have witnessed a series of glorious releases from WMS, with some of the best slots being:
- Giant’s Gold: a fairytale-themed slot with 100 paylines enabling frequent wins and a great pastime.
- Top Gun: one of the first slots by WMS, it’s still popular among the gamblers, with its 243 paylines and a variety of bonus rounds.
- The Spartacus: Gladiator of Rome – a beautifully animated slot based on the ancient Rome theme and welcoming the gamblers to the unusual layout. Promises many small wins even with low stakes.
- Viking Vanguard – the slot exploring the theme of Vikings and providing a fixed 1,500-coin jackpot.
Here is a convenient table summarizing the key features of top WMS slots for your reference:
|The Wizard of Oz||95.99%||Medium||30|
Other WMS Games
WMS used to produce pinball tables and fortune-telling machines in the past. Now it specializes exclusively in slot production, and there are no other games released by WMS thus far.
Best WMS Casinos
It’s hard to single out some WMS-exclusive casinos as most online gambling establishments try to diversify their portfolios and offer games from a variety of providers to their clients. Here is a list of UK online casinos with a solid reputation currently offering the WMS slots in the free demo and real money versions:
- This international casino is available for UK players. It now offers a generous welcome bonus of 200 free spins and up to £1200 in bonus money for the first deposits of newcomers. The casino has a broad portfolio of WMS games for the players to choose from.
- Energy casino. Here, you can get a welcome bonus equaling 100% of your deposit (the bonus is awarded on up to £200) together with 50 free spins for trying out a couple of selected slots.
- Royal Panda. One of the UK gamblers’ favourites, Royal Panda, welcomes all new clients with a 100% welcome bonus (awarded on the sums up to £100). You can also enjoy an exclusive £300 bonus for NetEnt slots right now.
This slot may naturally go on forever; you can find another UK casino that speaks to you and try the whole range of WMS games with a deposit and a welcome match bonus to see whether the provider’s style is what you like.
Everything in the WMS history and present is about technology. In the 2000s, WMS specialists detected a flaw of the land-based slot machine sector – the ability of slot machines to work only on expensive, specialized hardware, which made the production of slot cabinets costly. WMS engineers developed the innovative CPU-NXT platform that enabled the functioning of slot cabinets on any RAM, even the most simple and cheapest one. The CPU-NXT platform resembled a mini-computer that could be connected to a RAM and ensured the flawless work of the cabinet, making the casino equipment much more affordable and revolutionizing the entire industry.
WMS is also the author of the Trans Reels Platform technology that allows the dynamic graphics of the slot reels. The technology is a standard in all slots production today, animating the symbols on the reels and enabling the manufacturers to add sophisticated graphical effects, especially for the bonus features.
Another innovation of WMS was the creation of Bluebird cabinets. This technology is still exclusive for the WMS, allowing the 22-inch screen and advanced sound systems that gamblers around the world brag about.
If you’re a fan of smooth, rewarding, and authentic gameplay, then the WMS slots are definitely the best pick. The provider has been working on technological flawlessness for decades, now able to fascinate its fans with every new product. However, keep in mind that you can get the best of WMS products in land-based casinos, while online products are often ripped off some of the best features and functionality.